Come and be part of your history
Come and be part of your history – join a working group to plan and deliver some exciting celebrations to mark the 1100th anniversary of the crowing of King Athelstan in 2024.
CELEBRATION of the 1100th anniversary of ATHELSTAN becoming King – July 2024
‘England Starts Here’!
July 2024 marks the 1100th anniversary of King Athelstan becoming King of Wessex and the Mercians. Exciting things are being planned. There are opportunities for Warden and Freemen to financially support some activities, to join in others, to be part of the stewarding and support team for events, to take a lead in laying on an event and to be part of the overall coordinating group.
INITIAL IDEAS – from the Town Team and Local Organisations
- The Carnival Procession in 2024 to take an Athelstan theme – perhaps culminating in a community picnic.
- Wessex week to invite a well-known speaker on Athelstan in July 2024 plus Wessex Week 2024 to be Athelstan themed.
- Explore links with other significant towns – Tamworth and Kingston upon Thames –visiting school children may be involved.
- In July host a play/re-enactment from a Saxon re-enactment group showing Saxon life and skills.
- Hold a banquet perhaps on King Athelstan’s Feast Day or in July.
- Produce a small film/ play/ street theatre production like the films arising from the witch’s project.
- Give all schoolchildren a commemorative gift – perhaps a copy of the coin in the museum.
- Run themed activities, events and competitions based on Saxon times, aimed at families.
- Produce historical guides: A short ‘History on Athelstan and Malmesbury’, featuring Athelstan’s connections with the Warden and Freemen and a booklet and newsletters aimed at children.
- Progress the Athelstan Statue project to achieve installation linked to Athelstan’s coronation as King in September 2025.
- Guided walks of the common.
- Open the Courthouse with an exhibition, perhaps in partnership with Athelstan Museum.
The schools and other local organisations are being approached to gather their input, ideas and support.
BUT FOR NOW – WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE INVOLVED – HAVE YOU A GOOD IDEA ?
1 Market Lane, Malmesbury SN16 9BQ
Drop into office on a Thursday morning between 9:30 and 11am